Following the first year, being a medical student went off without a stethoscope; however, I still remember how confused I got when entering my second year of MBBS and started searching for a relevant stethoscope. I know how hard it is to find as a beginner. My second year went pathetic when I lost my two expensive stethoscopes (because of excitement to buy stethoscope for the first time) and adjusted to the low priced afterwards.
I got on the wrong track; in the first or second year of medical education, you only need a simple stethoscope; also, in the early years, the chances of stealing or losing your stethoscope are more than average. Thus, if you lost your stethoscope, you won’t have to regret at least, like me, and don’t rush into buying something expensive when you don’t need it.
Moreover, the internships are always accompanied by the pressure of observing patients in the presence of noise, especially in government sector hospitals, and it’s a total mess. I wish you never face that. But, you should buy a good stethoscope for internships, and luckily, I bought a decent one for my internships. Another important thing that needs to be highlighted is the acoustic features of a stethoscope. I remember how awkward it goes when my fellows have to examine, and their stethoscope didn’t help them, especially when it comes to borrowing from others. Thus, buy a stethoscope that could not make you face such a situation.
Furthermore, the journey of buying stethoscopes keeps going from medical studies to practising in clinics. A question just hits on my mind, and maybe you wonder the same WHY DO YOU NEED TO BUY A STETHOSCOPE EVERY TIME? As with every year or two, the stethoscope needs replacements. For instance, you cannot use a simple stethoscope during your duty in emergency wards where you require a better acoustic featured stethoscope.
Therefore, be wise with your purchases, and it is better to invest once rather than buying all year long. For this purpose, try to invest money on a stethoscope when you reached your last year but investing before is of no use. Learn from my experience. And for your ease, I have compiled a list of the top 10 best stethoscopes for medical students and their detailed features with a buying guide that will help you to buy the best stethoscope according to your budget, level, and need.
Top 10 Stethoscope for Medical Students
Littman stethoscopes have a firm grip in the medical field. The products of Littmann are an all-time favourite of most of the doctors. As far as I find, nearly all the Littmann stethoscopes are featured very well. Moreover, the 3M-Littmann Classic III Stethoscope is well built for students and professionals. However, the Littmann stethoscope is more considered by professionals, but it is also trending among medical students. As I mentioned above, buying an expensive stethoscope for initial physical assessments might not be a better option. Therefore, a reasonably priced Littmann classic stethoscope comes with the following features to let you have a better experience.
- Helpful in non-critical physical assessments with more acoustic sensitivity.
- A tunable diaphragm on both sides (pediatric sides and adult) of the two-sided chest piece.
- The single-piece diaphragm is easy to attach and clean with no rough surface.
- The pediatric side easily converts into a bell by replacing the single-piece diaphragm with a rim.
- The tubing and other parts of the stethoscope are free from plasticizers.
- Different sound frequencies from lower to high are heard by changing the chest piece pressure.
- The non-chill rim or diaphragm gives comfort to the patients.
- The resilient and flexible tubing will help you retain shape even if you put them in your pockets for a long time.
Read More: Best Backpack for Nursing Students UK
Product of Littmann, the cardiology diagnostic stethoscope, is suitable for medical students. The respective medical stethoscope will help you in your medical school as well as in your professional life. Through this stethoscope, you can monitor normal physical condition and cardiology diagnosis. Do not confuse if you think it’s only for cardiologists; instead, the stethoscope is for other physicians, nursing staff, medical students, and emergency medical technicians EMTs. Let’s look at what other features the stethoscope has and if it can be a better choice.
- The diaphragm is single-piece tunable, and the sound frequencies adjust by changing the chest piece pressure.
- The rubbing sound that usually stethoscopes produced is removed from the one due to dual lumen tubing.
- The stethoscope has next-generation tubing with no natural rubbing latex and plasticizers.
- Like the previous Littmann stethoscope, this medical stethoscope also has resistant features for skin oils.
- The adult and pediatric sides with a single-piece diaphragm of the chest piece can be removed, clean, and attached easily.
- The chest piece comes without angular shape making it a precise tool.
- You can hear sufficient changes occurring in the patient’s cardiovascular system without disturbing from environmental noises.
If you are new in medical school and your first year has started with a demand for buying a stethoscope, but you find your pocket a little empty. Then you should try Littmann’s light stethoscope that is less expensive and still provide you with the most features.
- The stethoscope contains a dual-sided chest piece for examining both adult and pediatric assessments with quality acoustic sensitivity.
- Like other Littmann stethoscopes models, the light stethoscope is being used for hearing high or low frequencies by adjusting pressure on the chest piece.
- The tear-drop shape can easily fit to check the patient’s blood pressure.
- The non-chill rim is more comfortable for pediatric physical assessments.
- Build with next-generation tubing with features like skin oil resistance and no plasticizers.
Read More: Best Cholesterol Test Kit UK
The Adscope Clinical stethoscope is also considered to be one of the best medical stethoscopes for MBBS students. The standing feature is its even lower price than the Littmann light stethoscope. Moreover, below are the features that make the stethoscope suitable for medical students.
- The adjustment options (Adjustable frequency design AFD) for high and low frequencies to experience high-quality acoustic conduct.
- A durable stainless steel chest piece with a bell larger than other stethoscopes has a precise and more explicit transmission.
- Additional features include silicon ear tips and non-chill rim and diaphragm that comfort physicians and patients.
- The tubing comes with a flexible PVC that retains the shape of a stethoscope.
- If you are an entry-level medical student, then the stethoscope is the most suitable for you due to around $36.
Adscope cardiology is an expensive one but a stethoscope that must have a try. The stethoscope is valuable and one of the beating stethoscopes in the cardiology stethoscope market. Its following features that stand out are;
- Lightweight stethoscope with stainless steel machined chest piece and Aluminum binaural.
- Provide acoustic precision and ensure comfortable usage due to silicon ear tips.
- Adscope 600 stethoscope, like the previous model, is advanced with Adjustable frequency design (AFD).
- The adjustments allow changing the frequencies for both high and low.
- The ADC provides other benefits and purchases, such as ear tips, scope ID tags, lifetime warranty, and additional diaphragms.
MFD lightweight is another stethoscope for beginners in medical school searching for a less expensive and more comfortable stethoscope. The MFD stethoscope is only recommended for new medical students or juniors.
- The stethoscope comes with a lifetime warranty with features including latex-free tubing.
- A dual-head stethoscope ensures useful functionality.
- Lightweight stethoscope with a good sound profile.
- Comfortable usage due to the safety lock and prevents eardrums from being punctured.
- The stethoscope consists of an Aluminium dual-head chest piece with a non-chill bell rim.
Being a medical student, we all keep ourselves in-between less expensive and high-quality stethoscopes. If we tend to buy a less expensive stethoscope, we will have to compromise for quality. However, I would not say many, but several stethoscopes are reduced in price but provide the necessary features that a medical student needs. Similarly, I have to find ADC Adscope Lite that is much reduced in cost but providing features like;
- High-quality acoustic performance with the non-chill diaphragm and non-chill bell to experience high and low frequencies response.
- Machined chest piece with lightweight Aluminum binaural in satin finishing.
- Contains a larger bell along with flexible PVC tubing and silicone ear tips t experience comfortable wearing.
The Friday stethoscope comes with an additional extra diaphragm, ear tips, name tag, and user manual. The perfect stethoscope is useful for medical students, nursing students, doctors, and other physicians. While searching for a stethoscope, I was impressed by this stethoscope, and I find it more suitable for medical students. If I were at my beginning years in medical school, I would go for this one. But the choice is yours. Moving further to see what features FriCARE has for you;
- The stethoscope has a dual-head chest piece with sealed ear tips, thick tubing that all works to give you a better hearing sounds like heartbeat, lungs, bowels, and others.
- A tunable diaphragm helps to listen to different sound pitches by adjusting the chest piece, saving time, and easy to use.
- Aluminium binaural makes the stethoscope more light in weight, stress-free handling, and comfortable working in nervous works.
- The stethoscope comes with additional accessories such as extra earpieces, a name tag, and a different diagram.
The Omron stethoscope works best for beginners and medical students searching for low-priced and quality featured stethoscope to practice or get training. As far as I have seen the features of the stethoscope, it has quite a decent list. However, a stethoscope is not suitable for beginners due to the different sizes of options.
- The stethoscope is 5 in 1 Quintscope as it comes with different sizes of bells, diaphragm, and ear tips. The two diaphragm sizes detect sounds like respiratory and several cardiac sounds for assessing both adults and children. The three bell sizes assess the low frequencies of infants, children, and adults’ cardiac and heart sounds.
- The stethoscope comes with double tubing (latex-free), standard design, and extra ear tips to improve comfort experience, and a chrome-plated chest piece.
Last on the list is MDF Classic Cardiology Dual Head stethoscope that is most suitable for students who often lost their stethoscopes. It’s pretty fair that medical students do lose their stethoscopes, or they have been stolen. I have also lost one of my stethoscopes in the early years. So, it’s a fact that even if you don’t lose your stethoscope, the chances of your stethoscope stolen remained. For this purpose, I have added the stethoscope to the list because if you are more likely to lose your stethoscope, you should try this one. The Stethoscope is not only less expensive but is more reliable.
- The stethoscope comes with a dual-sided chest piece and tunable diaphragm to observe and hear sounds from high to low frequencies for assessing both adult and pediatric patients.
- The rubbing noise is eliminated due to a single tubing design, and the tubing is resistant to skin oil, stains that cause discolouration of the piping. The latex-free tubing reduces allergic reactions.
- The meticulously engineered bell results in better acoustic integrity.
Stethoscope for Medical Students UK Product Guide
The French physician Rene Theophile Hyacinthe Laënnec (1781-1826) invented the stethoscope in 1816. Through this new device, he studied hearts and lungs and established that the findings he had made during autopsies confirmed his diagnoses.
After viewing all the top 10 best stethoscopes for medical students, you are standing on the point of choosing the right stethoscope for yourself. There is no doubt that product listing confuses an individual to some context. You might get confused between the two stethoscopes with similar features such as dual head chest piece of tubing length. To buy the right stethoscope for your needs comparing each product will lead you to indecision.
Thus, it is advised to look first for your need to search for a less expensive or most stylish and durable stethoscope. After defining your need, further, look for the main features that should be highlighted in stethoscopes.
As stated above, the essential requirement or need of being a medical student might vary, but the most important one is the price. If you are a medical student who has just started taking training should look for a stethoscope with a price range from $15 to $40. These are the stethoscopes that are cheaper than others and also reliable.
Other stethoscopes reaching $100 are more reliable and suitable for professionals and high school medical students who can afford and want more quality stethoscopes. Other high-priced stethoscopes are for a specialist in terms of quality, durability, and performance.
Even if you are a medical student, no matter at what year you are studying. The essential feature of any stethoscope is its sound quality, and you will have to look forward to it. The material used in stethoscopes defines the quality of sound and the performance of a stethoscope overall.
The chest piece must be durable enough to catch vibrations of the patient’s breathing and other sounds. Furthermore, different kinds of chest pieces define your purpose as the cardiologist, or respiratory specialist uses single head tunable diaphragms to improve call sound quality by tuning the pressure.
Thus, as a medical student, you don’t require such a stethoscope; instead, you can go for a double head chest piece (if you think you can handle); otherwise, consider the previous one.
Standard tubing of the stethoscope causes rubbing noise. To save yourself from unnecessary noises, you should go for double lumen tubing, which reduces rubbing noise by providing two acoustic paths. The two-sided chest pieces of the stethoscope chose the side for a single sound path. Moreover, the tubing should be latex-free and no natural rubbing.
Being a medical student, you would have to wear a stethoscope most of the time during your training. However, if the stethoscope you brought is more in weight would uncomfortable for you to carry all day. Therefore, it’s better to choose a stethoscope that is lighter in weight and possesses other necessary features. On the other hand, frequent usage requires a durable stethoscope that can be used for an extended period. The materials accompany the durability used that further increases the weight.
Moreover, if you require a high-quality stethoscope, you would have to compromise your comfort; otherwise, you can buy a lightweight stethoscope as a beginner medical student. Other features that constitute comfort are tubing length (which should be long enough to approach patients easily), ear tips (should be made up of soft material to ensure ear protection), and always look for extra different sized ear tips.
Stepping in the medical field is a stressful moment, which is even enhanced with other side effects such as “STETHOSCOPE BUYING.” There is no room to hide oneself from buying the one; however, years medical students get excited and might be done something like me initially. But, it’s requested do not to repeat the same. Go and find something more valuable in terms of benefiting for your current situation.
Furthermore, summarising the whole discussion on best stethoscopes for medical students and reviewing different stethoscopes in the medical field’s market trends and adopted by medical students, nursing students, and other professionals to help you the best to buy a better stethoscope according to your needs. I hope you might get a clear picture of how you can choose the right stethoscope for yourself.
Moreover, at the very end, there is a takeaway for you to get an even better idea about which stethoscope will work best for you based on your needs.
Best choice: Littmann Lightweight II 2450 Stethoscope
Good value for money: MDF Classic Cardiology Dual Head stethoscope
Premium choice: Littmann Classic III 5832 Stethoscope