Some gamers and developers may find mechanical keyboards too noisy but others might prefer the feel of mechanical keyboards. Because they’re faster and more durable than membrane keyboards, mechanical keyboards are popular choices for people who game, write, design, or edit.
Many web developers and engineers use mechanical keyboards for faster typing and greater accuracy.
just “game” it! Just “type” it!
If you need a keyboard that is louder and easier to type, consider a membrane keyboard instead. A good membrane keyboard uses high-quality plastics to create a durable, low-profile, and grippy surface. This makes it a good choice for gamers who want to produce a noisy game atmosphere without disturbing the person next to them.
*If you do not have time to read the whole review then please check the best selling mechanical keyboards on Amazon. You’ll not a mistake you chose from the best sellers list.
I know there are certain hesitations when purchasing your new keyboard, especially when you are heading for a mechanical one: Are they pricey? Are they heavy? Will they truly provide me comfort as opposed to the membrane ones? Do mechanical keyboards indeed have an enormous influence over gaming and typing?
I had these doubts too before buying mine, but they were washed away when I bought mine. It is not necessary to spend £100 or even more to get this luxury in your hands. I will certainly say that the best budget ranges from £20 to £70. It is truly worth spending this once rather than spending £15 thrice. So, let us dive in and see what these keyboards have to offer!
Table of Contents
Top 10 Mechanical Keyboards
Redragon is found within the high brand catalogue. They produce game devices and accessories, delivering it globally. With an experience of 20 years, it gifts the user with great services and high-class products. International packaging levels and solved enquiries in various languages, Redragon aims to provide comfort and superiority in life. You can visualise this in the K552 Keyboard.
- It weighs 1,08kg and is connected through wiring.
- The keyboard’s base is made with aluminium.
- Composed of 87 keys and a total of 18 RGB lighting, nine various colours and five luminosity levels of the backlights.
- The keycaps are of double-shot injection, which means that you will perceive clear lights and the letters won’t fade.
- Cleverly designed with plate-mounted keys and switches to resist violent games such as Fortnite, Call of Duty and others.
- Non-conflictive keys, providing N-Key Rollover gifting the user a supreme gaming session. Enhanced with 12 multimedia keys which are not slippery and coated with a protective layer to fight against splash.
- It comes with a gold-coated USB connector hence avoiding corrosion.
- It is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 and condensed to MAC OS Keyboard Support.
Read More: Best Budget All In One PC
TECKNET works with PC peripherals, homely products, audio-focused as well as powered devices and products that serve as protection. An electronic ruler based in the UK, offering advanced products that improve your digital experience and an upgrade in your lives. It is known for its passion for excellence and strong loyalty towards its customers. The 78986 mechanical keyboard reflects this.
- It weighs 779 grams and is connected through wire.
- The keyboard’s tactility response is of superior quality, and the keys towards gaming are of a high-grade such that they respond to commands quickly.
- There is an independent switch for every key, which means that the user will experience quick feedbacks.
- Complete key rollover and anti-ghosting are allowing each type to be detected and applied in games and typing.
- Clicky and tactile properties are felt in the switches. High sensitivity and firm keystrokes designed for professional typists and gamers.
- 6 backlight colours. Each row has its colour light. Nine lighting styles are included too.
- Compatible with Windows 2000, XP, ME, Vista, 7, 8, 10, MAC, Linux and more.
HAVIT goes to make a difference and gift what users don’t have till now. It was founded in 1998 by Ms Lee, who has technology alive within her. HAVIT brings out fashionable and ranged products, always taking into account that quality should not be missed. Such is so with these two following keyboards. Both are tremendous but have a major difference. Watch out!
- It weighs 1,26kg and is connected through wire.
- You can feel the click and tactility of the keys thanks to the implementation of the blue switches.
- Key Rollover with anti-ghosting.
- Well designed with a detachable wrist rest. Metallic board and keycap inactivity enhance the keyboard’s life growth.
- It comes with a mouse which is a bonus. It has seven gaming keys which are programmed and six levels of Dots per Inch (DPI).
- Drivers included allowing for moderating the RGB backlight and its button. The light button can switch off the mouse light.
- There are various modes of RGB lights. Fourteen various lights for the keyboard and 7 for the mouse.
- 12 keys of multimedia are found. The FN + WIN keys avoid the user from exiting the game in an undesired manner.
- Compatible with systems such as Windows, Linux and MAC OS.
Read More: Best PC speakers under £50
Rainbow Backlit Keyboard with Adjustable Brightness Levels.LED lights make the keys visible. 3 lighting modes are adjustable: breathing, solid rainbow colour, light-off mode.7 Keys Programmable Gaming 6 Dots Per Inch levels: 800-1600-2400-3200-4000-4800 Dots Per Inch. With programmable 7 keys, you can easily define any properties. The RGB backlit and button function is customizable via the driver.
- It weighs 732 grams and is wired connected.
- LED lights allow the visibility of the keys. The backlights are of rainbow mode and three brightness levels to play with. Three-speed levels are also existent.
- It is anti-ghosting, and 19 keys can be synced together without any conflict.
- Three multimedia keys and 11 multimedia keys to combine at the top.
- It comes with a mouse which is a plus point.
- The DPI of the mouse is appreciated at six different levels and has seven keys regarding programming. It has seven colours too.
- You can customise the RGB and button feature through the driver.
- Win Lock and direction exchange combinations are available.
- It is compatible with Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 and Linux. Take into account that this is not compatible with PS4 or XBOX. You need to purchase an adapter and then it will only work for chatting, not gaming.
DIERYA has grown up in less than ten years, primarily meeting customer needs. Its products indeed please the eyes and possess great functionalities. Users bear great benefits and will consider it worthwhile to spend on its products for DIERYA provides appealing designs, versatile aspects and high satisfaction. The DK61E is a true bang-up!
- It weighs 800 grams and has a detachable USB Type-C cable. The connector is made out of alloy aluminium, and the cable is quality braided.
- The USB-C is the connection port.
- 1 Lithium-ion battery is called for.
- The circuit board, not the interface, is coated with IPX4 and certifies the keyboard as waterproof.
- PBT is the short-cut to “polybutylene terephthalate”, the material used to create the keycaps. Keycaps are even moulded through Doubleshot injection.
- Optical switches used instead of the conventional mechanical switches.
- RGB lighting mode displaying 16 colours concurrently.
- The keyboard has eight-degree rubber feet providing long-lasting comfort. The unique padding speaks of the keyboard’s firmness.
- Keycap and switch pullers included.
- Compatible with Mac and Windows.
Ajazz is a brand that hails from China. Ajazz is on the lead, and its focal point is operating the brand and designing. They have earned success and popularity, especially when it comes to gaming. They have a continuous thought of further expansion and are in the quest of business partners, globally speaking. AK33 speaks about superior quality worked in Ajazz.
- It weighs 620 grams and has a detachable USB cable.
- The wire is five-cored and strongly shield.
- It has 82 keys with an independent switch on each. It has blue switches making it clicky and enhancing the tactility.
- The keyboard is made with metal and ABS which stands for Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene. The former makes it vigorous. The latter is inexpensive and quick to shine.
- The design is compact. The slight arching-like and gradient appearance helps fight off the fatigue existence in the user’s hands.
- Keycap puller included.
- Supports 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 USB versions.
- The USB is gold-coated.
- Compatible with Window 98SE, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10, MAC OS System.
BAKTH’s foundation is quality. One of the largest manufacturers of batteries, it has expanded its brand offering PC peripherals with quick delivery and ongoing service for customers. The K1-SET reveals BAKTH way of working but, while taking your time to read its points, you will notice a major thing in this keyboard.
- It weighs 630 grams and is connected through wire.
- It consists of 104 keys. Rainbow mode applied for the backlighting.
- A mouse comes along in the pack. It has 4 DPI levels, and seven colours lit at the back.
- No driver required.
- It is compatible with Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10, Linux, IBM products, Mac OS and Chrome OS
HK Gaming is a brand which provides enriching products and is based in Hong Kong. It allows the user to take its gaming sessions and to type to a whole next level. It sceptically chooses its components and implements them. Though it is a fairly expensive brand, it justifies the purchase. The GK61 sets a high mark.
- It weighs 538 grams and connected through wire.
- Composed of 61 keys with 16.8 million colour blends.
- Various backlit modes as well as RGB.
- Optical Gateron switches applied which can be exchanged and substituted. The keycaps are moulded with ABS Doubleshot, which can always be altered due to the availability of the key puller.
- Anti-ghosting at its fullest and via software you can personalise key functions, tailor enhanced features and trace macros.
- Compatible with Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP and Mac OS.
- It has a USB Type C to Type-A cable.
- Multiple FN functions and the keyboard’s circuit is coated with IP64, which ensures high resistance to splash and dust.
Hcman delivers decent types of equipment and has commerced electronic devices that can be utilised anywhere and at anytime. They believe in practicality and are expanding themselves to bring the latest technology and enhance customers’ digital lifestyle. MK02 unfolds Hcman’s dedication to their work.
- It weighs 733 grams and comes with an attached USB cable to connect.
- Blue switches are used hence strong audibility as well as giving way to an enhanced tactility and clicky feel of the keys.
- 87 keys that are anti-ghosting, enabling the keyboard to be highly responsive.
- It has 21 light modes and ten which are sided light modes. Intensity can be modified.
- The physical layout of the keyboard is slightly arched and has a minor gradient. This enables the hands not to suffer from tiredness.
- Application of alloy aluminium and high-quality ABS metal, making the keyboard strong and splashproof. Keycaps are injected with a special bicolour moulding to increase durability.
- Compatible with Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, VISTA, Macintosh Mac OS X and more.
PICTEK is a manufacturer which produces gaming devices. It is very precise in its product design and development, delivering top-notch quality products at a very reasonable price. It aims in having the customers experiencing long-lasting and vivid moments with their products. Such is achieved with this 244 US Blue Switch.
- It weighs 575 grams and comes with USB cabling, which is of 1.5 metres in length.
- Blue switches applied to enhance the tactility of the keyboard and the enjoyable clicky sound. These switches produce great responsiveness in both gaming ad typing.
- Amazing lightings with 27 colour modes. Changing the speed and luminosity is available too. The keyboard can memorise 3 light patterns tailored by the user.
- All keys are anti-ghosting so that they will produce no conflict.
- The keyboard is backed up with two folding supports at the back, enabling to adjust the angle of the keyboard.
- Resistant to splashes and keycaps can be removed.
Having mentioned the different types of keyboards, I want to highlight that two of them, HAVIT HV-KB558CM-UK and BAKTH K1-SET-UK are not mechanical keyboards even though they possess similar qualities regarding the lighting and other features as the mechanical ones. I purposely stated them so that you become crystal clear with the differences and not fall under the wrong influence. THEY ARE ABSENT OF SWITCHES! This is the key identity of a mechanical switch.
Regarding the brands, Redragon and HK Gaming focuses on what is inside of a product providing products which are rich in their speciality area. HAVIT and Human deal with cutting-edge technologies enhancing the user’s digital experience, making them feel that they can deal with such tech-advances too! PICTEK, Ajazz and DIERYA concentrate on the output layout of its products, making them eye-catching without putting the quality aspect behind. TECKNET and BAKTH concentrate on giving their customers excellent products and fast services, proving their fidelity.
Best Mechanical Keyboards UK Product guide
Keyboards are the pens to our mobiles and computer devices. An important tool, be it virtual or physical, which makes our lives easier to type almost everything and engage in games. The one that comes in mind is the mechanical one. Mechanical keyboards are a bomb! They are a clear win over the membrane keyboards.
There are unpunctual doubts which can halt you in the end from buying a mechanical keyboard. Fortunately, there are solved queries that cut your doubts and guarantee you a rewarding purchase.
Membrane keyboards are composed of 3 different layers and displayed with two distinct designs: keyboards with flat keys and the other ones are rubber domed. I still remember how much problems I faced with these standard keyboards. At some point after regular use, some of the keys were simply not working. Others were not making enough contact giving me a troublesome time with my daily typing. These keyboards used to get damaged quickly, and I had to purchase new ones every certain period. They were uncomfortable too. It required harder pressing on the keys because the keys wouldn’t go down all the way, and the type would just be unregistered.
Mechanical keyboards work at a different level. You might think, what exactly is a mechanical keyboard? Well, the mentioned, are keyboards with switches implemented beneath the keys. Each switch is made up of a tough stem, a spring, housing and sometimes include a click leaf. Switches are classified in three groups: tactile, linear and clicky revealing the resistance, sound output and tactility of the keyboards. So you can imagine, not only with typing but, as far as games are concerned, the keys’ response and speed work at an optimum level.
Do the type of switches matter on a mechanical keyboard?
There are various types of switches which are used while producing a mechanical keyboard. There are blue, brown, red switches, and each delivers a distinct sound and loudness while tapping them. Brown switches are considered to be the quietest of all. Blue switches enhance the clicky feel, which for many users, is very pleasant. Red switches are very juicy. They are soft and light. Your fingers will end up thanking you. So ‘matter’ would not be the term, preferences are what makes you decide which ones to go for.
Are mechanical keyboards very noisy?
Not necessarily. The components used to develop the keyboard are important factors to take into account. You can always use O-rings made of silicone or foam pads to reduce the noise of your mechanical keyboard.
Can we say which is the best mechanical keyboard?
No. Not only the switches but, the size of your fingers and the density of your muscles are important factors too. They have an important influence on how hard or soft the keypress will be.
Are keystrokes higher in mechanical keyboards?
Yes. This is one of the top features a mechanical keyboard offers. Membrane keystrokes are much less. This is what makes a mechanical keyboard last way longer. While a membrane keyboard offers 5 million strokes as an average, mechanical keyboards can offer ten times or even more keystrokes which is a vast difference.
Advantages of mechanical keyboards
Mechanical keys provide a smoother and more accurate feel than membrane keys.
- Mechanical keyboards are more durable and can last a long time with proper maintenance. They are also the most responsive to minor bumps and scratches.
- Mechanical keyboards are more durable and can last a long time with proper maintenance. They are also the most responsive to minor bumps and scratches. Mechanical keys allow for multiple brightness levels and customization, which means that you can alter the key feel from one setting to another without ruining any keys’ function.
- Mechanical keys can be less prone to hot-spots and finger smudges than membrane keys.
- Mechanical keys allow you to modify the key characteristics, such as the keypress distance, key travel distance, and key travel force.
- Mechanical keys are much more ergonomic and comfortable to use.
- Some gamers like the combination of mechanical keys and dedicated macro keys, which allow you to quickly program commands.
Disadvantages of mechanical keyboards
- Compared to membrane keyboards, mechanical keys are typically heavier.
- Some people dislike the tactile feel of mechanical keys.
- The key mechanism can break and shatter, which is not very pleasant.
- Mechanical keyboards require you to supply your own key caps.
Should I buy a mechanical keyboard?
Generally speaking, most gamers prefer mechanical keys for gaming due to the physical experience of a mechanical keyboard. However, a small subset of gamers prefer using mechanical keyboards with their fingertips instead of with mechanical keys.
Mechanical keyboards tend to be more expensive than membrane keyboards, but the mechanical advantages can be worth the price. The type of key caps you need to purchase also differs. You may want to purchase a few to get the best of both worlds.
Those who want to be more cautious or prefer the flexibility of a membrane keyboard can look into hybrid keyboards. If you are a professional gamer, you’ll want to stick with a mechanical keyboard. Otherwise, choose your keyboard carefully.
My top 3 mechanical keyboards
We can see that mechanical keyboards tackle the problems stated and furnish the user’s experience while typing and playing games. A clever tool which makes your digital life exotic.
Hcman is the cheapest. It is not necessary to purchase a high-end and expensive product to be able to play with such delicacy. A keyboard with clicky sounds enabling me to make sure I don’t miss out any key while typing or gaming. It certainly exceeds your expectations.
The Best Choice
The HAVEIT HV-KB389L mechanical comes with a mouse which is a great combo. It feels trendy with intense and colourful lights making my night more appealing! That eagle print gives it a mysterious touch and makes it way cool.
The Premium Choice
Redragon K552 without a doubt. It is very classy, and the switches are just fascinating! Even the RGB is very versatile, and the keyboard is extremely comfortable to work with.
So as you can see, mechanical keyboards are well-built devices. Positive notes certainly pave the way and the flaws are a minor against them. Purchase your mechanical keyboard without further delay. Be an M&M’s – marvellous, mechanical – and stay switched!