In the previous year, weather reports came in about how the population of fleas in British homes increased rampantly due to the warm but damp summers that favoured their breeding. During the cold season, we tend to turn up heating sources in our homes, but this merely allows flea eggs to develop faster. Consequently, a similar trend is prone to occur this year as winter encroaches in a few months from now, and this could be a problem for residents, especially with many animal or pet owners.
While hotter environments aid the perfect breeding for these parasites, they are commonly found thriving around the house on bedding and soft furnishing which could be a health nuisance. As a result, experts advise such homeowners to wash all beddings and floor coverings more regularly during these times. They are to also check their animals for fleas and mites often because failure to do so would cause sufferings like injured skins and secondary skin infections. Long term flea infestation may not affect just the animals but humans as well by frequent biting.
Having not to turn up the thermostat for enhanced heating and insulation in your home during the cold would be uncomfortable and silly, especially when the reason is a fear of flea infestation. You can ultimately reduce the risk of breeding these pests by carrying out certain preventive steps, but if they end up infesting your home successfully, flea treatment plans are the next steps to take. There is quite a wide range of elimination procedures for flea infestation ranging from dish soap and water to high-end custom flea treatment products. Depending on the gravity of the infestation and budget target, it can be a little dicey to know the best flea treatment for houses.
My neighbours once had a tick infestation mainly on the host (an Eskimo puppy, about a few months old) and had a hard time dealing with fighting off the vermin. Unfortunately, the young dog became very ill and passed away. I figured out the reasons why it wasn’t able to survive the attack included:
- Misidentification of the parasite: They thought it was attacked by lice.
- Incorrect treatment product(s): As a result, they treated the dog for Pediculosis with traditional remedies.
In this article, you shall therefore review the proper means of identifying and treating flea infestations with the plans that work most suitably for your situation!
Before rushing down to get the best flea treatment for house UK, you must know exactly what kind of parasite you may be eradicating. I mean, you probably wouldn’t find it funny like my neighbours when you realize that spoons exist while you’ve been using chopsticks for drinking soup all your life; just try not to think much about the wasted effort, time, and money spent on the replaced chopsticks.
How to quickly identify fleas/flea eggs?
The appearance of the pupae hanging or lying around (they aren’t usually seen though) is what leads to the pestilence of fleas. Your ability to know what fleas look like in their early stages will even help you handle its infestation better. This is because they breed not one or two, but as many as 50 eggs on a host within 24 hours!
Adult fleas are oval-shaped, flat on both sides, and usually dark reddish-brown. Their sizes range between 1/12” to 1/18” and possess six long legs. Normally, they are found active by jumping very high despite their relatively small length.
Apparently, the adults are easily descriptive, but the case is a little more complex for flea eggs. The length of their eggs is about 0.5mm and a half as broad which can be compared to a grain of granulated sugar, just with an oval shape. Consequently, they aren’t easily detectable and are often confused for flea dirt (dark and crumbly particles). In likely cases, you might need a magnifying object or device to discern these flea eggs.
Lastly, flea pupae (the next stage after the eggs) are off-white and resemble tiny worms of about 2 to 5mm lengthwise. They are not easily seen either but are commonly found burrowed in carpets, cracks, and grass.
What products are for you?
Confirmed you’re actually dealing with fleas? Great! Or not great per se. However, now is the time to browse a list of best flea treatment for house UK and select the treatment product plan that works for you, perfectly. These products will vary mainly based on brand, mechanism, and application. Do well to take the time to read through for a decent home choice.
Top 10 Flea Treatment for House UK
The most convenient way to get rid of fleas is by clearing them out in their early stages. That is, being able to locate the pupae or even eggs either in small or large amounts and eliminating them all at once. Thanks to Pest Expert’s advanced Flea Killer Treatment for House & Carpets, you can have a standard toolset to go about such eradication fully. This kit comes with a somewhat comprehensive selection of flea treatment tools that are designed to help you get remove fleas in all stages from your house. It is among the cleverest choices for widespread flea infestation in homes and is packed with sufficient product resources that allow you to control the parasites over a long period.
- Formula ‘C’ Flea Spray: This Pest Expert’s best-selling insecticide is best equipped for the killing of fleas by direct contact while if offers long-lasting protection.
- Formula ‘P’ Flea Bombs: With its twin pack style packaging, this selection is specially used for fumigating your rooms. This works by both killing active fleas and hindering room for their breeding. Fumigate by ejecting permethrin smoke from the tool to kill adult fleas, instantly.
Note: One twin-pack can serve adequate treatment for an average-size room (4m x 3m)
- Diatom Powder: When it comes to particularly getting your pet bedding pest-free, this powdered product comes in handy. It can also be applied in areas that spraying might be unsuitable like power points and electrical appliances.
Note: A pesticide-free product that is safe for application in houses with children and pets.
- Formula ‘C’ Flea Spray: Pest Expert adds yet another 5-litre insecticide that offers fast-acting eradication performance while maintaining a long-lasting effect. When applied, the substance residue remains for an extended period as it continues to kill fleas for up to 3 months after treatment. It can be used on your carpets.
- Pressure Sprayer: It permits equal distribution of the Formula ‘C’ insecticide for optimal application.
When it comes to specifically solve flea problems without the use of harsh chemical substances, custom flea traps provide the best flea treatment for house UK. Individuals that complain about how impossible it is to get rid of all fleas within their houses usually find better resolve in flea traps. Fly-Bye’s Ultimate Flea Traps with Sticky Discs offers a unique custom flea treatment product that works very effectively. It consists of different materials set up together to provide the powerful yet non-severe means of removing active fleas from your home. Basically, the flea trap uses night light bulbs and sticky discs (papers) to complete its trick as fleas hop helplessly into their demise. The product comes in a discreet packaging weighing 750 grams with dimension, 190 x 190 x100 centimetres.
- Fly-Bye Edison Screw Bulb: The 2x 15 watt light bulbs/heat lamps offer an outstanding feature from Fly-Bye as the heat emanated replicates that of warm-blooded animals’ (dogs and cats in particular) body heat.
- Replaceable Discs: The package offers 12 sticky discs for holding down and killing the active pests found within your residence as they are all attracted to the light above it. Once the fleas are trapped, they become unable to lay eggs; this makes serious flea infestation gradually become extinct in a matter of days.
- Mains operated (alternating current) – standard UK 3-pin plug.
- Long-lasting product: Once set up, just place on the ground, plug it in, and observe how the simple system works effectively over a long period. With this product, you can control flea infestation for months.
- Non-toxic product: The Fly-Bye Ultimate Flea Traps with sticky discs is totally designed to give a harmless effect for your home. It contains no insecticides, pesticides, or harsh chemical substances that may pose a threat to your children and pets.
Note: Fly-Bye is a brand that sells its products only on Amazon from third-party manufacturers.
While most flea treatment products work exclusively for a flea infestation, some unique products provide treatment for other parasites such as ticks and lice. Beaphar’s Fiprotec Spot-On flea & tick treatment plan is a currently sponsored and highly recommended product in the market. The liquid product affects the pests when in direct contact (not bloodstream contact) which explains why it comes in handy even before fleas and ticks attack their host. Fipronil is the main ingredient in the chemical composition. It concentrates in the sebaceous glands found at the root of the animal’s hair follicles, i.e. it continues to replenish the skin’s surface upon application and treats the skin for a long period. The product comes as a pack of 6 with a total weight of 60 grams and dimensions, 4.2 x 12.2 x 7.6 centimetres.
- Beaphar Fiprotec Spot-On Pipettes: The product typically comes with 6 custom pipettes that are used to apply the liquid substance. The application is carried out through the pipette and used between the animal’s shoulder blades.
Note: When applying between the shoulder blades, split the pipette as you apply to the different spots.
- Contains Fipronil: The active chemical kills fleas and ticks in about 24 hours and 48 hours, respectively. However, the product constantly remains effective for up to 5 weeks. To maximize continuous protection, you are advised to apply once every month.
- Animal specifications: Beaphar Fiprotec Spot-on flea & tick treatment product is produced for a range of animal breeds (dogs and cats). The specifications refer to certain weight restrictions, so you get to choose the product type that is of suitable specifications for your pet.
Common flea sprays you find in the market are usually designed to treat flea infestations for either cats or dogs or both in some cases. Meanwhile, some unique products like the Beaphar Defest Household Flea Spray is a spray that offers one of the best flea treatment for house UK. How exactly? The spray is developed particularly for household applications rather than the conventional pet application, and it works just as effective if not more! In essence, the product saves your pets the dealings of surviving harsh chemical substances on direct application. It is ideally equipped for your house if it has already been infested with fleas as you apply it in all rooms that your pets have access to. For the best experience, you should vacuum your floors and carpets before using this treatment plan. The 400-millilitre product weighs 340 grams with dimensions, 5 x 5 x 22 centimetres.
- Beaphar Defest Household Flea Spray is relatively straightforward to use. Just apply lightly with a 30cm distance from the outlet.
- The product is applicable in all cracks and corners of any room. Normally, you may apply 0in areas where fleas are spotted or likely seen, including on and under floor coverings, pet bedding, skirting, and radiators.
- It offers absolute treatment action as adult fleas die within a few hours. Based on the nature of the flea life cycle, fleas that have seriously infested your house may take several weeks before you can have them eradicated, totally.
- It contains deltamethrin and pyrethrins, which are the ultimate killing ingredients in the product.
Fumigation is a proven effective method of eliminating pests and among the best flea treatment for house UK. Basically, fumigation has to do with dismissing pests by the use of deadly gas in an enclosed area. Due to the way the fumigation process often requires handling by an expert, companies try to produce fumigators that are less complicated. The CritterKill Professional Strength 15g Flea Smoke Bomb Fogger Fumigator Smoke is designed for household usage with its fast and effective killing action that eradicates all fleas in surface and hidden spaces. In essence, it offers a potent way of removing the pests from your home as the insecticidal smoke kills them when in contact in an instant. This product is recommended for critical household flea infestation because it provides an appropriate solution mechanism for large or difficult to reach areas. It weighs 60 grams with dimensions, 14 x 12.2 x 7 centimetres.
To apply the CritterKill smoke bombs efficiently, you must follow the procedures below:
- Prepare the affected area: To achieve this properly, it would involve tenting and sealing your home thoroughly.
- Open the smoke bomb and place it on a surface that resists heat than light the fuse.
- Leave the enclosed area(s) sealed for a minimum of 4 hours.
- After treatment is completed, you must ventilate the area well to allow all the smell out.
The product helps to control other insects that may be present in your house as well, including Bed bugs, house flies, wasps, cockroaches, and many more.
When dealing with the various ways of controlling pests in our homes, the usual case is that we want products that aren’t too harsh or harsh at all while performing the trick efficaciously. Also, you might want a product that is flexible for all furry pets so you won’t have to purchase different flea treatment plans with varying procedures that you could get mixed up. Or who wouldn’t prefer a treatment product that can eradicate the pests in your homes at all life stages? Thanks to Zero In’s Flea Comb killer, you can get rid of those persistent fleas on your cats or dogs easily. It is a safe product as it is free from poisonous substances and chemicals, so you don’t have to be concerned about applying harsh treatment products on your pet(s). The product weighs 106 grams with dimensions, 16.4 x 23.4 x 16.5 centimetres.
- Ergonomic design with push-button activation: Just by simply pushing the button, the comb delivers a harmless electric charge to your pet’s body and gradually removes the fleas present in the egg, pupae, and adult stages. The led light indicator shows when the device is powered. It is battery-powered; 2 x AAA alkaline batteries can be used to enable the device.
Note: Do not apply if your pet’s coat is still wet.
- Poison-free flea control: The flea killer comb is designed to suit a perfectly harmless treatment plan for your pet as it does not involve dangerous or harsh substances. This can be a better alternative for chemical powders.
- Absolute flea control method: The delivered electrical charges through the teeth of the comb provides rapid killing action for fleas in all stages, removing them as you comb all infested areas.
Flea treatment products that come in the form of powder are a prioritized selection in the market. The powders work by killing fleas while preventing new ones from hatching around your house. Bob Martin Clear Home Flea Kill Carpet Powder is used only on carpets and floor coverings as implied. This means that you do not have to bother about applying severe substances directly on your pets. Also, the target life stage for this treatment plan is made for both larvae and adult fleas. The special odour neutralisers that come from the powder help to dismiss the rather unpleasant pet odours. The product is formulated to fight off flea infestation in hard porous and non-porous spaces as well as on hard and soft furnishings in your house. Bob Martin Home Flea Kill Powder is clinically proven as a potent household flea eliminator when used on carpets, rugs, and pet bedding. It also kills other pests such as ticks, woodlice, and mites. It weighs 281 grams with dimensions, 3 x 3 x 3 centimetres.
- Powder provides a decent flea treatment solution as you sprinkle over carpets and related furnishing.
Note: Target all area surfaces where your pet usually sleeps or rests and leave for about half an hour before vacuuming. Do not sprinkle in wet areas.
- It offers an easy to use shake on – vac off the powder with special odour neutralisers that dismiss unpleasant odours that may come from pets.
- It is harmless to both hard and soft furnishing. You do not have to worry about the corrosive effects of the active chemical substance.
There are times wherein we may have a severe flea infestation and controlling the situation seems daunting enough. Under this circumstance merely buying treatment products for your pets alone likely won’t suffice as your rooms are already infested as well. In essence, you require a treatment solution that can cover extended areas beyond your animal. Johnson’s Veterinary Flea Killer Bomb is a proven flea eradicator that helps to get rid of fleas in all room surfaces and hidden areas. It kills fleas in all stages; stops eggs and larvae as well as adult fleas. All you have to do is to place the product in the affected room, press, and allow to do the trick. No fleas would dare subsist within your house for a very long period. It weighs 99.79 grams with product dimensions 50 x 40 x 30 centimetres.
- Experience an utter treatment plan for a high flea infestation as it eradicates adults fleas and halts their eggs/larvae stages.
- It contains permethrin and s-methoprene to provide an unpleasant fog environment for fleas.
- A simple application for a flea killer bomb just by placing and pressing it to perform in affected areas.
- It also gets rid of other house pests like cockroaches, earwigs, ants, etc.
In certain situations wherein you are not completely positive about all the pests that have infested your home, it might be safer to equip a multi-purpose treatment plan. The Multi-Mite Diatomaceous Powder Feed Grade remains a best-selling product for years as it offers 100% naturally made pests eradicator. It provides a solution for your house in times of dense flea infestation as well as a broad range of other pests from ants to millipedes. It also serves as a great feed for animals like your dog and others, including chickens, and even horses. The product weighs 50 grams with dimensions, 6 x 1.5 x 1.5 centimetres.
- A natural flea infestation treatment plan that works harmlessly with your pets around.
- It serves as a highly effective feed that includes natural minerals to improve the condition of your animals.
- It eliminates a wide aspect of small bugs that may be present around in your rooms and other places like kernels, gardens, and poultries.
- It is made of 100% natural powder that can be applied in burrowed areas on your pet bedding and floor covering.
Apply this product externally in areas fleas are or could be present with approximately 5% feed weight every day; read labelled instructions that specify for different conditions and animals.
The use of insecticides to kill certain pests is the conventional way of getting control of infestations in your house. With the help of Signature Indorex Defence Spray, you can gradually reduce the existence of all fleas and dust mites in your house. The product is effective for removing adult fleas and earlier stages such as eggs and larvae. It is applicable on hard porous and non-porous surfaces, hard and soft furnishings, and pet bedding. It contains 500 millilitres of 100% cotton content.
- The powerful insecticide instantly kills fleas and dust mites around your house.
- It applies to surface and hidden areas such as furnishings, pet bedding, and floor coverings.
- It is 100% cotton and can be used for up to 8 weeks.
- It eliminates flea in all stages; eggs, larvae, and adults.
Note: Do not handle treated fabrics until you have them dried and aired completely as treated surfaces pose a fire hazard. Refer to instructions for proper usage.
How to Choose Flea Treatment in the UK
1. Product Guide
This section addresses common uncertainties that some of us face when selecting the best house flea treatment plan in the UK. Due to the way these products work, it is understandable why you may curious or perplexed about what options are most suitable. The truth is, all these house flea treatment solutions mentioned above all have one purpose (obviously), but the products actually vary in mechanism to suit your situation. In essence, not all the products will work ideally for you. That is why I have presented a quick guide that may just enhance your foregone conclusion before heading out to purchase.
2. Determining the most relevant product
Browsing through the product list section explained a wide range of different products and how they work, specifically. Some offered absolute and professional flea treatment solution products, while some demonstrated basic yet effective application. However, the best flea treatment house UK application that would work draws down to two major situations:
- What severity of infestation are you dealing with?
- Where do the fleas prevail?
Knowing the degree of flea infestation
When pests infest your homes, there is always a source which is commonly the host (your pet). However, these nasty little vermin tend to procreate at a huge rate in a matter of hours. Conventionally, fleas feed off of the blood of warm-blooded animals like your dogs and cats where they breed, but you can also find them present in your clothing and upholstered furniture. This explains why you may not be aware of their presence until a large infestation has happened. But you can be the very inspective type and notice adult fleas early enough on your pet; in this case, count yourself fortunate. Detecting fleas immediately merely calls for a mild treatment plan, so products that become most relevant are the ones that are used directly on your pets only. In the other case, i.e. noticing both adult fleas and their larvae, it is likely you’re dealing with an infestation, so the products for widespread or serious infestation would be apt.
Inspecting flea dominance
This has to do with knowing where the pests prevail in the sense that you wouldn’t want to buy those fancy Chinese chopsticks to eat your soup. In an instance where you have an infestation of fleas mainly on your pet, it would be rather unwise to equip the best flea treatment for house UK that applies for only carpets and the likes. Also, purchasing a flea treatment tool for household furnishing often implies that flea already exists on your pet, so you would want to go for products that apply to pets and household furnishing.
Effective Ways to Get Rid of Pet Flea
Flea treatment products come in various shapes and sizes, and selecting a suitable one from the store can be quite uncanny if you’ve never treated animal pests before. I referred my neighbour’s pet that didn’t survive an illness after severe tick infestation, which was treated wrongly. The problem usually arises from knowing the exact kind of pests present, equipping the product that works for the house or pet’s situation than knowing how to apply the correct product effectively. Hopefully, the sections above provide you with adequate information about how to go about purchasing and using the best flea treatment for house UK. Precisely from the product lists, it is convenient to make a good judgment on the products that are most dynamic from their features. The Pest Expert’s advanced Flea Killer Treatment for House & Carpets marks as the premium choice based on its flexible, albeit expensive feature. Fly-Bye’s Ultimate Flea Traps with Sticky Discs may not be the best option but does the work quite flexibly for a long period as well, especially when fleas can leave your pet’s coat into the captivating trap. Lastly, CritterKill Professional Strength 15g Flea Smoke Bomb Fogger Fumigator Smoke is relatively affordable for its top efficient performance and serves as the best flea treatment for house UK in most intense scenarios.