Like other homeowners, you might be too keen to explore and repair your house’s electrical equipment. To start with this, you would need a few essential tools along with a reliable multimeter. If you aspire to become a budding electrician, it is imperative to own a decent multimeter before heading out to install electric appliances. Several problems can arise if you don’t have the assistance of a useful multimeter by your side these days.
My profession demands me to be in charge of industrial electrical projects, so I aim to deliver my best in every project I get. Once before starting actual work, I was testing the appliances with a multimeter provided by my client. But guess what? The multimeter readings were not accurate, and I became confused 🙁, thinking about what should be done. I was an amateur at that time and thus became nervous, thinking that I might have committed a mistake unintentionally. When I came out to my superior about it, he just asked me to remain super calm as the problem might not be due to my fault. He came back with a different multimeter, and when I took the readings, the results were just as I expected. So the real problem was not me but the multimeter I was using, and I decided to go online and get hold of the best budget multimeter of the UK.
A faulty multimeter can meddle with your handiwork significantly. Since electrical settings are not something that you can play with, you need to be very picky while picking a multimeter. In case you have not used a multimeter before or having a shortage of cash, you are recommended to get your hands on a budget multimeter. To ease your job of reading reviews of multimeters from various sources, here are some of the best budget multimeters of all times in the UK.
Top 10 Budget Multimeter UK
The digital multimeter by Fluke has managed to win over the hearts of electricians since its launch. It is also an RMS multimeter, highlighting its ability to display accurate readings even during non-linear loads. Again, professionals highly sought this multimeter because it can even measure the voltage’s heating potential accurately. This multimeter, you will be able to calculate either the AC or DC voltage.
The multimeter is equipped with VoltAlert Technology, and this gets into action after coming in touch with a non-contact voltage. That is why; you will be able to accomplish a ton of electrical tasks effectively and effortlessly with this. With all these added features, the digital multimeter does an excellent job of diagnosing electrical faults.
- It comes up with a large LCD so that you can see the readings easily without straining your eyes.
- White LED lights are incorporated to use the multimeter and work even in partially lit areas.
- Inbuilt RMS technology so to provide you accurate readings even on non-linear loads.
- Special VoltAlert technology to detect non-contact voltage instantly.
- To prevent false readings because of low voltage, the multimeter provides low input impedance.
- Allows you to switch automatically switch to ac/dc voltage selection.
- Measures about 10A for 30 minutes and in case of low impedance 20A.
If you have a budget constraint, but you are not willing to let go of the best features, you should look at this. The multimeter offers you the best value for money while allowing you to work in minimum light conditions with ease. This mini multimeter caters to the budget-conscious users who look for user-friendly yet a reliable multimeter. If you get ever get stuck with your car in pitch-black darkness in the middle of nowhere, you will come to realize the magic of this multimeter.
Besides helping you mend any electrical wiring at any time of the day, it provides super-accurate measurements of current, AC/DC voltage, resistor, diodes, etc. The device is designed in a way to offer high protection against overloads.
- The multimeter is enclosed in a soft but anti-drop rubber case to use it hastily without dropping it.
- It enables a frequency measurement of up to 200 kHz and 200uf capacitance.
- The large LCD is easily readable, and backlights help you to see even in complete darkness.
- Equipped with overload protection and thus you can use it to troubleshoot a host of electrical problems.
- It is available with a stand-in in which the device can be set at a 45-degree angle, allowing you to use the device hands-free.
- The compact handheld multimeter is designed to meet the CAT II 600V and IEC 61010-1 over dual voltage and insulation.
- A 9V battery comes with the device, secured by a cross head screw, but it can be easily removed when required.
If you have realized that you need a digital multimeter in your toolkit, but you are not willing to spend much on it, then you might want to take a look at this. The digital multimeter by the brand Draper comes in stunning blue colour, and it will surely catch your eye. Besides that, it does a commendable job in reading the AC/DC and voltages. Although it is not a professional multimeter, it is excellent for someone looking forward to buying their first multimeter.
The best part is you would not need to buy additional accessories for using this digital multimeter. You would get a battery, testing kits, and even probes along with it, so you will be sorted after paying a reasonable price for such a feature-packed multimeter, completely digitalized for your ease.
- A durable rubber casting is provided along with the device to place the device on it and use it hands-free.
- The tool allows you to switch into 16 modes, and you will get the details about it once you read the instruction manual.
- To offer you the best experience, Draper sources all the components of this multimeter from all over the world.
- The Draper Tools guarantee backs up the product so that you can get in touch with the manufacturer in case of any issues.
- The multimeter is designed to meet quality and safety standards, which is why it might be a good option for newbies.
- The multimeter comes with a battery enclosed in it, so you would not have to buy it separately.
- Although the multimeter is lightweight and compact, the build quality is robust.
You can raise your budget a bit, only a tiny bit, then you can bring this robust multimeter home. It can display the measurements of about 750V for AC and 1000V for DC. That is why this device can cater to the electrical requirements of home, laboratories, factories, workshops, etc., which experiences high voltage issues. The particular model of digital multimeter by Proster offers to display about 6000 counts.
The multimeter accurately measures resistance, capacitance, voltage, diodes, transistors as well as the temperature. Even there is an option of measuring the temperature in Celcius and Fahrenheit, and for this, you would not have to purchase any gears. Two AAA batteries come with the multimeter, and the indicator flashes to alert you about low batteries.
- The multimeter comprises an LCD display that can display counts of up to 5999 up to 200uF.
- Besides measuring current and frequency, it also calculates the duty cycle.
- The data hold function allows you to record all the measurements quickly.
- It provides overload protection on all ranges so that you can expect longevity from this device.
- A built-in support stand protects the multimeter from bumps and knocks.
- It can measure the surrounding temperature easily with the help of two temperature measuring probes.
- You can conduct the continuity test for approx 30Ω± 10Ω.
If you need a multimeter for professional uses, you can look at the lists of features of this digital multimeter by Janisa. For starters, it performs excellently by displaying all the electrical values accurately. Also, it can support up to maximum because it is categorized under CAT III and CAT IV standards. The safety categorization is essential so that you know the maximum amount of electricity this multimeter can handle.
The 2.7 LCD of the multimeter makes reading all the values super easy. You can also find backlights at the rear of the device so that you can read the costs even in poorly lit areas. There is an auto-off feature in this multimeter, so it shuts down automatically when not used to save battery. Also, a buzzer will go off if the electric current goes exceptionally high.
- It can test resistance, diode, capacitance, frequency, AC/DC and voltage, etc.
- The sampling time is maximum three times /sec and the maximum counts supported is 6000.
- The multimeter is made with high-quality, durable ABS material, so even it gets a few bumps, it is not expected to wear out.
- Range of functions like data holds, automatic power off, low battery indicator.
- LED indicator flashing and buzzer turning on at the same time to warn about a high amount of electricity.
- K-type thermocouple built-in allows you to check the temperature of objects without using your hands.
- It offers overload and circuit protection as well and comes with two pairs of test leads.
For the ones hunting for a multimeter, which will be loaded with technical specifications but would not be expensive, might be interested in this model by Tacklife. It is probably one of the few all-rounder multimeters you will get at this reasonable price, which will cater to your projects’ electrical needs. You can measure AC/DC, voltage, resistance, capacitance, and even diodes and triodes with this feature-packed device.
The digital multimeter even enables continuity and temperature testing. You would not need to invest in any other tools for these. It comes with a backlit screen so that you would not have to struggle in reading the measurements even in dark and enclosed areas. The manufacturers have also implanted a LED torch to don’t have any trouble in noting down the readings.
- With the NCV function’s help, the digital multimeter prevents electric shocks by detecting AC voltage in a non-contact way.
- There are overload and short circuit protection across all the ranges, so safety is guaranteed.
- The kickstand and auto shut-off function enables you to take and record readings effortlessly.
- The maximum TRMS supported is 6000 counts, and the sampling time is 2-3 times/second.
- It also allows live line tests so that budding electrician can identify a null/live line.
- You can switch to multiple functions and modes just by using a single rotary switch.
- 750 V dual- ceramic tube installed within the device prevents it from burning out.
You have not yet succeeded in finding a lightweight and super affordable multimeter for both home and professional use, then you might be interested in checking this out. The digital multimeter is categorized under CAT III standards, and the maximum amount of current it can handle is 600V. Apart from offering great value for money, this multimeter can measure different electrical values with maximal accuracy.
The interface of this multimeter is user-friendly, and thus even newbies will be able to use it. The large display will make sure that you can read the readings even when there is insufficient light in the background. This LCD screen is backlit so to help you complete your work in time eve in complete darkness. If you want to read the data, press the hold button, and the device will shut off automatically if you are not using it.
- The manufacturers provide a sturdy stand with it, making it easier for you to use the multimeter even when your hands are full of other equipment.
- The device is designed ergonomically to cause you any discomfort even after using it for more extended periods.
- Equipped with a PTC protection circuit for frequency and resistance measurement.
- If the multimeter is idle for 15 minutes, the multimeter will turn off automatically.
- It comes up with a built-in double fuse, which offers overload protection against all the ranges.
- The 3/1/2 digital display screen of the device makes reading the measurements completely effortless.
- The auto-ranging feature will help you choose the right measurement range when there is a lot of equipment installed.
Inside brings you this extremely versatile multimeter at a reasonable price so that anyone enthusiastic about fixing electrical fuses can afford this. The best part is that the multimeter is built sturdily and is compact and lightweight, but it seems rugged. It comes in a thick insulating cover, and you can even hang the device with the help of the holster grip and the notch. For working on a bench, you can make most of the tilting bail, and you can also find the lead storage at the rear of the device.
Although the brand is relatively less famous than the brands featured in this list, it offers many features. The leads supplied are high-quality and durable, and the fuses are removable. So, when you see the fuses are blown, you can replace them quickly. The multimeter’s large and crystal clear display can show up to 6000 counts (3/5/6 digits). There is also backlight behind the screen, and it stays on for 15 seconds.
- The sample rate of the display of this multimeter is around three times/second.
- The PTS ceramic protection circuit for frequency and resistance measurement.
- The diode and continuity test can be 20000uF.
- When the voltage is detected is greater than 700V, the device sensor will buzz and flash.
- Large backlight display, which makes it easier for you to work in poorly lit areas.
- You can switch between 10 features.
- The max/min functions will help you monitor the change in voltages.
The bright green colour digital multimeter by Mastech is bound to catch your attention as soon as you set your eyes on it. It is not just the appearance that will win you over, but its features are also remarkable. Apart from providing you with all the necessary electrical values, it also enables you to switch the mode, according to your requirements. You can measure AC/DC, voltage, capacitance, duty cycle, etc.
The device is designed to offer you about 4000 counts, which you can analyze to gather information. The brand claims that even users with poor eyesight will have no trouble in reading the values. Backlights are also offered for this purpose and also to help you record values in dim light areas. The device comes with thermocouples with the help of which you can measure temperature in either Celcius or Fahrenheit.
- A large display helps you to check the measurements without straining your eyes.
- Comprises of a plethora of features and automatic switching facilities.
- The auto power-off option is present, so you would not have to worry about turning it off every time after using it.
- The digital multimeter is categorized under the IEC61010-1 & CATIII 600 V standards.
- The device can measure temperature between 120 degrees and 1000 degrees.
- An indicator is present to alert the users whenever the battery is about to die.
- It comes in a durable cover to safeguard the device against bumps and falls.
Although this multimeter’s price tag is a bit higher than the others featured in this list, the features of this kit are above extraordinary. The sleek and compact design of the multimeter will offer you sheer ease of use. The unit provides you with essential functions like DCV/ACV DCA/ACA and unique features like temperature testing in Celcius and Fahrenheit. Also, you will be able to check values for frequency, resistance, etc. To make measuring resistance convenient, there is a buzzer installed in the multimeter.
But the slick design of the multimeter does not stop it from comprising the essential features like backlights. An auto-off option ensures that the unit will turn off if it is idle for a few minutes. There are plenty of safety features like overloading protection mechanisms and cut-outs to keep the users safe under all such circumstances.
- This analogue bar can display a maximum of 5999 counts.
- Data hold feature available to read and store data when required.
- Equipped with a buzzer to assist with resistance readings.
- The duty of cycles can be easily measured.
- It delivers an anti-jamming performance so that the operations are smooth.
- The sleek design of the unit makes it super compact.
- You don’t have to twiddle with knobs anymore because this multimeter is auto-ranging.
Buying guide for Budget Multimeter UK
To help you choose the best budget multimeter in the UK, you should check out these frequently asked questions regarding multimeters made by first time buyers:
What are the types of electrical quantities you can measure with a multimeter?
Most standard multimeters can measure AC/DC voltage in volts, AC/DC in amperes, and resistance in ohms. But most multimeters displayed in this list can also measure frequency, capacitance, temperature, etc.
What is the significant advantage of using a digital multimeter over an analogue multimeter?
The essential advantage is that digital multimeters offer more accuracy than their analogue counterparts. Most standard digital multimeters provide an accuracy of about 0.5% on DC voltage.
What type of multimeter is best for home usage?
No matter which multimeter you choose, make sure it falls under the safety standards of CAT III. If you decide CAT I or CAT II specifications, then the multimeter has a severe chance of causing risk.
Can you use a multimeter to test your car battery?
Yes, measuring a car battery is super easy with multimeters, and for this, you just have to use the alligator clips. If this is not available, just use the probes and switch between the AC or DC voltage, as per your convenience.
How long does the battery last?
If you are using the multimeter frequently, the battery will drain out faster, but there is nothing to worry about. Most multimeters have standard batteries that are readily available in the market, and you can reinstall the new set of batteries easily.
Can you remove the fuse from the multimeter?
Nowadays, most multimeters are protected by ceramic shells to prevent the fuses from burning out. But even if it does, some units comprise removable fuses, and before buying, you can check this feature.
Since buying a multimeter might not seem like a cup of tea to everyone around here, we have tried our best to make the task easier. Once you have decided on your price range and the features you want, refer to this article and place the order! If you need to know about the three best contenders in this list, then check the following:
Top 3 Multimeters
Best overall- Fluke 117 Digital. Great value for the price- Crenova MS8233D Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter Expensive- AideTek VC99+ Digital Auto Range Multimeter Tester
However, if you are unsure how to use a multimeter, then scroll through the instructions manual or watch tutorial videos. If you manage to decide the right multimeter for yourself, no force can stop you from excelling in your home or professional projects.